Well, probably not the same as the majority of Aussies. First up, chinese mass produced Aussie Flag souvenirs are out. We have an actual Aussie flag, although this year we discovered we have nowhere to hang it. Must sort that out before next year.
We're not the boozy BBQ sort either - we had a quiet day and finished it off with a walk at the waterfront with the pups. So what's so great about being an Aussie? Here's my top five:
- Natural beauty in the landscape
- Friendly people and we are lucky to be pretty untouched by international conflicts
- Gorgeous food, locally sourced.
- Ability to own your own home. The Greene's bought their first house in 1989 when interest rates were 19%, and yet we still managed to pay the mortgage. But in some countries, home ownership is out of the question for young people.
- Great weather - I can say that now the heatwave and flash flooding from last week is over, but most of the time we have great weather. One of my favourite poems is My Country by Dorothea Mackellar -it sums up the Aussie landscape perfectly.
AND, best of all, we have great authors. Have you checked out the Aussie authors over at Aussie Month on AusRomToday, where they are running a competition with cash prizes of $1000? I'm heading over to the AusRomToday site on Friday the 30th, so make sure you catch me over there.